Okay so i probably overreacted.. It'll probably take a lot more to drown me... I mean Tom has tried to drown me and failed and I was only twelve. :)
So the weekends have so far been really really good. Those are probably the more exciting things to talk about and then I'll tell you about the stuff we are doing. This weekend we went to a place called Sipi falls which was about a four hour drive out of town. It's up near a mountain called mount Elgon which we didn't actually go on but is really high and i think the tallest mountain in Uganda. There are three sets of falls in this area and we stayed at a resort that overlooked the biggest fall. It looks a lot like Costa Rica, but I think the mountains are a little bit more dramatic. We hiked up to the other two falls and we had to go through corn and coffee and sugar fields to get there. They had a tribe that was farming on the side of this mountain. I have really cool pictures, but it takes forever to upload them, so I really don't think I am going to upload them until i get to New York. The best part was that we got to the top of one of the waterfalls and had a guide there that had equipment to repel down a long side the waterfall. So I tie myself in and then go over this 100 meter cliff and for the first 100 feet you are kicking up against the mountain side, then after that you are just basically hanging down and not touching anything except the rope. It was really really amazing. The food their was exquisite, (which is a word i would probably never use, but I am tired of using amazing and incredible)
For our volunteer stuff, today we started building a school, but the materials weren't all there so we went over to some other schools and did the first step of building these stoves that use less wood and take all the smoke out of their kitchen. Lung cancer is actually a huge problem for the third world because the cooks cook in these closed kitchens over an open fire. So these stoves help them out.
We are working with these two kids that are very disabled, they used to be normal but somehow over the last 5 years they have become completely crippled, and unable to talk or respond to anything. Last Thursday we went in and the boy, Joel was sick and was throwing up all over himself. We held him and we took the girl out in her wheelchair on a walk. Everyone stopped and stared and asked what was wrong. The mother cleans and recharges car batteries in their shack and that is probably why they are so damaged. We are working with the mother to get a different job or at least getting another room to work in. I think this family is a nominee for one of the saddest stories in the world. The grandma sits in the back and is completely deaf and dumb and just sits on a pillow on the ground all day and rocks back and forth.
Other projects we have been doing are working with high schools and teaching them some stuff like AIDS, nutrition, and other health things, working with business owners and helping them
make a profit, working with this bakery to get them all set up, working with orphanages, working with some women's groups and helping them find a good income and some other stuff that I can't remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment